“I think the most significant work we ever do, in the whole world, in our whole life, is done within the four walls of our own home.” – Stephen R. Covey

Thursday, April 22, 2010

Georgia On My Mind

So things might get a little out of order since its been WAY too long since I have posted but a couple of weeks ago Chad and I headed down to Columbus, GA to visit my brother at Ft. Benning where he has been stationed during Army Infantry BOLC training. His graduation was the reason to visit and it was really interesting just to walk around and see everything there is to see on the base (or post as they call it).

We started out with his graduation on Thursday. There were about 150 men that will all be headed to other bases where they will be stationed or others will go on for more training. Matthew is hoping to stay at Ft. Benning for Ranger School.
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
And of course we have to have the pictures with the family in the official uniform.
Photobucket
Photobucket

The next day we walked around base and saw some of the cool Ranger memorials and main buildings. I think we even saw Eisenhower's old house (who I swear my grandma said we were related to one time).
Photobucket
Photobucket

Saturday we visited the Army Infantry Museum which was actually very cool and very cool to walk through. I really didn't know what to expect.
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
There was an exhibit called the family gallery which was dedicated to the supportive friends and family of our military and their role. I found out that I believe it was Eleanor Roosevelt that pushed to have a military personnel and the chaplain physically visit a family when they were being notified that their soldier had died in battle. Previous to this a telegram was delivered by a taxi driver.
Anyway, the museum was really interesting and educational to all of the battles/conflicts that America has been involved with. The museum is brand new so there were a couple of exhibits that weren't over yet but we were super tired by the time we were done for the day. I say those will be something new for us to see next time we make it down there.
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Obviously I took about 150 pictures so I'm trying to only post a few. It was a fun time and I hope that we are able make it back when he graduates from Ranger school!

No comments: